Iconic Health Clubs have teamed up with the fantastic Eva Burg. Eva is a qualified Nutrition & Health Coach and an award-winning Health & Fitness Blogger. She is the voice, cook and photographer behind The Healthy Tart blog where she shares recipes & nutrition advice for a healthier, happier you.
This is the first of our #IconicBites series with Eva who we have asked to put together some really nutritious and healthy options that we know our members are going to love.
Iconic Quinoa And Black Bean Burgers
1 hr 10 mins
Quinoa and Black Bean Burgers with Chilli Lime Vegenaise will satisfy all your BBQ cravings without the need for meat. They are delicious, vegan, high in protein and the perfect post-workout meal.
Course: Main Course
Cuisine: High-Protein, Vegan, Vegetarian
Calories: 401 kcal
Author: The Healthy Tart
Quinoa and Black Bean Burger Patties
- 1 1/2 cups quinoa cooked
- 2 sweet potatoes medium-sized, halved lengthwise
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1/2 onion finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil extra virgin
Chilli Lime Vegenaise
- 1/4 cup vegenaise or mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chilli sauce
- juice of 1/4 of a lime
- 8 burger buns
- 2-3 handfuls rocket leaves
- 2-3 tomatoes sliced
- 2-3 avocados
- 1 handful radish
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Halve the sweet potatoes lengthwise and bake them with the cut side down for 30 minutes.
- Meantime cook the quinoa according to the instructions on the package.
- Now prepare the Chilli Lime Sauce by adding all the ingredients to a small bowl and stir until smooth. Keep refrigerated until needed.
- In a large bowl, add black beans and cooked sweet potatoes. Mash until the consistency is only slightly chunky. Some beans will be completely mashed and others will not this will help create a nice texture.
- Add quinoa, onion, garlic and spices, mix until well combined.
- Divide the mixture into 8 even portions and form them with your hands into a patty shape.
- Place quinoa and black bean patties onto a parchment-paper-lined baking tray and brush the top with a thin layer of olive oil. Bake for 20 minutes, flip them and brush with olive oil. Bake for another 10 minutes or until they start to firm up.
- Switch your oven to grill and grill your buns with the cut side up until they start to brown.
- Assemble your burger with your favourite toppings.