Iconic Health Clubs have teamed up with the fantastic Eva Burg. Eva is a qualified Nutrition & Health Coach and an award-winning Health & Fitness Blogger. She is the voice, cook and photographer behind The Healthy Tart blog where she shares recipes & nutrition advice for a healthier, happier you.
This Peanut Butter Protein Bars Recipe has quickly become one of my all-time favourites. It tastes crunchy and chocolaty without being overly sweet. If you choose gluten-free oats and protein powder they can also be made gluten-free.
Cuisine: American, Vegan, Vegetarian
Keyword: easy, sports, workout snack
Calories: 218 kcal
Author: The Healthy Tart
- 16 Medjool dates, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup water
- 1 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- ¼ cup almond milk or other milk of your choice
- 2 cups rolled oats, gluten-free if required
- ½ cup Nuzest Chocolate Protein Powder or any other protein powder
- ⅓ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup cacao powder
- ⅓ cup raw cacao nibs or vegan dark chocolate chips
- Add the dates to a blender and blend while slowly adding water until it turns into a soft paste.
- Now add the peanut butter and almond milk and keep mixing until well combined.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix all the dry ingredients using a spatula.
- Pour the date and peanut butter mixture on top of the dry ingredients and fold it in. It might require a bit of kneading with your hands because the dough is quite heavy and dry. If it doesn’t stick together you can add a tiny bit more almond milk.
- Line an 8 x 8-inch pan with cling film and press the mixture firmly into the pan. I use a little roller for this but you can easily do it with a spatula or your hands. Tip: Place a sheet of parchment paper on top of the dough and start pressing down, this way it doesn’t stick and spreads more evenly.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes, then cut into 18 small bars or 12 bigger bars.
If you don’t want to buy the more expensive Medjool dates you can simply soak any dates in warm water overnight. Don’t discard the water you can use it to sweeten beverages or desserts. If stored in the fridge you can keep it for up to a week.